Saturday, November 30, 2013

How did NaNo go? And the STONES OF POWER: THE EXILE by Eric Buffington

Um...wow. 

You guys...

It's December!!!

How did NaNo go for you?

And if you didn't participate in NaNo (and even if you did) how was your November? I'm trying to think what I did in November, other than write...

I did get to read and review this little beauty. A great read for all you high fantasy lovers out there!


In a world where each person is born with a magic ability, the island of Denall is on the verge of an attack from a power hungry sorcerer, Mordyar, as he scours the world in search of the Stones of Power. While the stones are gathering and their power begins to be revealed, four boys leave their village on a rite of passage into adulthood and are swept into an adventure that will make men and heroes of them, if they can survive.




Author Bio
Eric Buffington was born in Ontario Canada, where he lived until he was eighteen. After that he traveled with a Canadian government program, for one year (what he did is top secret), he then moved to California to serve a two year mission working with the Laotian people. 

Shortly after returning home he met the love of his life, moved to Pennsylvania and married her. He has since completed a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in education. He currently lives in Pennsylvania with his wonderfully supportive wife, and their four children. He currently works as a High School math teacher in an online cyber school. You can watch his math lessons on his Youtube channel.

My Review
This tale reminds me of Robert Jordan's, WHEEL OF TIME series. Especially the troupe of characters whose journey we get to witness. It has that high fantasy, epic feel, yet it also has a number of original twists and turns along the way. 

The 3rd person omniscient is usually a tough one for me. When a book is written this way, especially changing to different character's heads within the same chapter, I am usually unable to become attached to the characters and their tale. Buffington does an excellent job of seamlessly moving from one point of view to the other, making me care for the characters I should, question those who are questionable, and dislike those who wish to do our protagonists harm. I like that every character is flawed, and feels very real.

THE EXILE is a great start to the STONES OF POWER series. I am anxiously awaiting the next.

12 comments:

  1. This book sounds great, and if it's WoT-esque then it's definitely one I'll add to my list! :)

    November went well for me, but as usual I'm glad it's over so I can get back to doing other stuff on my "to do" list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had my birthday Friday! I'm glad Nano got me started on an old project I flubbed in the past. It is good that you enjoyed the book Kelley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book! I hope NaNo went well for you, Kelley Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this review!! I'm glad that you liked it so much! I also love the Wheel of Time! It takes up a whole shelf in my office! I was kinda blown away to be compared to a series I love so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review Kelley! My November was crazy, but you already knew that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! I long ago quit reading epic fantasy for one reason: too slow. I love the world building and the imagined situations/landscapes, but after reading Dean Koontz, I'm hooked on action and suspense. If only mainstream epic fantasy could channel that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I KNOW. IT'S DECEMBER ALREADY. I'm sort of freaking out but I don't know, I'm too calm right now. It'll hit me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome comparison. Can't go wrong with Wheel of Time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I won NaNo at last! *Fist Pump*

    Now I'm sort of trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of this week. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rad looking book, especially the cover art! Gotta read it:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at the WOT comparison! :) My November was busy but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't do NaNo. I did do plenty of submitting and some revising.

    Thanks for sharing this book with us.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Then type in your email and follow me!