Thursday, November 21, 2013

NaNo 2013 - Defeated! (And a look into my mind...yes, scary.)

Well, I did it!

I beat NaNo 2013. 

Now, granted, the book isn't complete yet. Actually this first draft is going to wind up a lot longer than I thought it would. See, I tend to be a short first drafter. As I go through the rounds of edits the book usually gets longer, and longer and longer.

The fact that I'm going to be longer than I thought with the first draft is intriguing to me. Perhaps I'm getting better at including those pesky internal dialog and descriptions in the first draft.

So what was my NaNo project this year? Well, it was the sequel to FRACTION OF STONE, currently titled FRACTION OF HOPE. And I will admit...

I was afraid of writing this book. 

I really loved the way FRACTION OF STONE turned out, and people have really seemed to enjoy it. I thought I was just pushing off writing the sequel because of all the other book I wanted to write. Like:




ROAD TO SOMEWHERE (Collab with Jenny S. Morris) (Coming February 2014)
A YA Science Fiction (Solo project)
A YA Contemporary (Collab with Cassie Mae)
A YA Fairytale Retelling (Collab with Jessica Salyer)
A YA Thriller (Solo project)
and 
THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS (A Christmas Anthology with J.A. Bennett, David Powers King, Jessica Salyer and Becca Ann) (Released November 2013)

And these books were one of the reasons why I waited two years to write the sequel to FRACTION OF STONE. 

But the other was fear. I was afraid I couldn't create a tale that was at least as good as the first. What I found out through this process is that fear is normal...

And that I need to get over it.

Ha!

I've loved writing this sequel so much. It's quite different from everything I've written in the two years since I finished the first. THE FRACTION SERIES is written in third person past tense and is the only work that I've written this way. I really love the freedom it gives me in terms of prose, and word choice. 

I also just really love these characters.

So the moral of the story is, fear in this business, in everything, is normal. It means we care about it and about the outcome.

We just have to embrace it and use it to propel us forward.

FRACTION OF HOPE has a bit to go before it's ready for reader's hands. But I'm enjoying this journey just as much, if not more, than the first time I wrote about this tale.

Good luck to those still working on NaNo!

8 comments:

  1. Big Congrats!!!

    We are on the same wavelength, girl. I finished Remake 2 for my Nano. I too write short first drafts and each revision gets longer, but this draft is 80K...super long for me. And though it was hard to write, I LOVE my characters so much too. We'll see how revisions go.

    I'm so excited for FoS#2. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also happy with the progress I made with my own Nano project. Happy things are going well and you won't allow fear to hold you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That is so awesome. I'm opposite to you in that I tend to write long first drafts and then need to cut the fat as I edit. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very true, Kelley Lynn! Good for you for finishing your 50k and knowing that it's your best work yet. Fear creeps up on us, doesn't it? Just when we think we've conquered one, another is born. So is the life of an artist, I think. I'm glad you conquered yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!!! And you still have over a week left. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Confetti cannons launching in 3, 2, 1....

    And I totally get that fear. I'm afraid to even write a book that could be a series. I'm a total stand alone girl for those very reasons:)

    It's not like you've been busy...as those books and collabs. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome, Kelley! I can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it so amazing coming into the story, knowing the characters and feeling like you've got a leg up? Sequels are the thing of dreams--as far as writing goes. (In my humble opinion.)

    Way to win NaNo!

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Then type in your email and follow me!